Howdy folks! I’ve been sucked into the loonier parts of Youtube the other day, and this makeup trend that started in Japan last year caught my fancy. Igari makeup aka hangover makeup was actually named after its creator, makeup artist Igari Shinobu. Igari makeup is also known as futsukayoi (hangover) makeup and ofero (combination of two words: “Oshare” [fashionable or trendy] and “fero” [short for pheromones]) makeup. The aim is to resemble a flushed complexion that one gets when drunk. Pink/coral/red cheeks are done strongly with often a neutral eye and rosy lips. It’s basically striving to look like a clown in a kawaii way.
As a fan of The Hangover movies (definitely not of hangovers), I tried it out. And while I think I sucked, I hope this “tutorial” could help you out if you want to have a go at it.
Face Base Application:
- First I applied a small amount of the Etude House Pearl Aura Brightening Essence to help moisturize my face better.
- I used a small pea-sized amount of Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser all over to prime the face.
- Using an angled flat top brush, I applied sufficient amount of Happy Skin ZZ Cream in Beige, basically just buffing in a layer and going over my imperfections with a little more of the product. It’s important to conceal the redness on your face because the focal point of this look is the flushed cheeks.
- I then applied The Face Shop Concealer Liquid Veil in N203 Natural Beige on my pimple for concealing and my undereyes for brightening my dark circles.
Contouring and Setting:
- Contoured my nose and below my lip (for a “fuller lip” EDIT: Found out I did it wrong. I should’ve put the powder right below the center of my lower lip line. Oops. 😛 Looks good at eye level headshot photos from a distance like above center pic. :P) using a chisel oval brush, my temples, cheekbones, jawline, and my chin (a pathetic attempt at making it seem more pointed) using the Marionnaud N°32 blush brush. Contour powder used was Shawill Perfect Powder in 003. I don’t contour my face because I’m bad at it. So there. – Optional #1
- I set my face with Nichido Final Powder in Creamy Glow.
Neutral Eyeshadow Look + Bags:
- Applied Essence I ♥ Stage Eyeshadow Base all over my lid.
- Patted on a peachy nude eyeshadow (San San single eyeshadow in Water Terra Cotta) all over my eyelid.
- Used a dark brown eyeshadow (San San single eyeshadow in Deep Earth Brown) for the crease and a bit of an outer V.
- On the center of the lid and outward, used a pinky eyeshadow (Fashion 21 Eyeshadow Pop #5) which (at least in my mind) adds a subtle tired and red look to the eye area(???).
- Now, an important part: bags = tired eyes. But keyword here is cute. I sorta borrowed the Korean trend aegyo sal (puffy, smiling eyes) just more haggard-looking. So I drew an outline using a slightly shiny brown powder (the powder end of an eyebrow product K-Palette Lasting 2Way Eyebrow 1 Day Tattoo in Natural Brown) as can be seen on my weird-looking face below.
6. Using my ring finger, I dabbed on a fleshy white highlighter shade eyeshadow (Fashion 21 Eyeshadow Pop #12) on the space between where my eye ends and where my drawn eyebag ends and just blended out the area using same finger (*lol* at how ridiculous that sounded).
7. I lined my upper lashline and the outer third of my lower lashline with a brown “eyeliner” (EB Advance Perfect Eyebrow in Medium Brown).
8. Tightlined the upper waterline (of course where else) using a black auto-eyeliner (Essence Long Lasting Eye Pencil in 01 Black Fever).
9. Used an off-white eyeliner (NYX Wonder Pencil in WP01 Light) on my lower waterline because I want to look fresh and awake despite the fact that I’m supposed to be hungover. Could pass as a quick-fix attempt in the morning after.
10. Curled my lashes and used a waterproof mascara that is popular for dolly lashes in an instant (Heroine Make Long and Curl Super Water Proof Mascara in 01 Black) on my upper and lower lashes.
- Outlined using the eyebrow pencil (The Face Shop Lovely me:ex Style My Eyebrow in 02 Black Brown).
- Filled in using lightest shade of eyebrow powder (IN2IT Waterproof Eyebrow Colour in ER 01 eyebrowns) on the innermost brows, the middle shade on the rest. (And yes I don’t follow that shading thing for the brows because 1. mine have a somewhat thick growth, 2. I don’t know how to mainly because of #1. Mehe. Excuses, excuses.)
Onto the highlight of this makeup look: the drunkard flush! I mean the hangover flush!
Cheeks & Lips:
- Applied a peach “blush” (San San single eyeshadow in Water Terra Cotta) directly below my “eyebags”.
- Applied a red orange blush (Careline Oil Control Blush-on in Fresh Tomato) onto my cheek area below the peach shade. I may have extended the blush a tad further south than the supposed redness-below-eye-area look I should’ve gone for but that’s because I applied too much product that I mindlessly blended it out. I also think I should have skipped the peach blush and used the red orange one below my eyes for a more drunken look. I applied the blush across the middle of my nose bridge and the tip of my nose as well.
- For the lips, I used a terracotta nude lipstick with red tones (Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me Moisturizing Lippie in Honeymoon Glow) on the outer parts of my lips. I then applied red lip tint (The Face Shop Lovely me:ex My Lips Eat Cherry Aqua Tint in 02 Juicy Red) on the inner parts. I like this lip look much and wear it a lot these days.
Optional #2: False lashes
If you want to amp up your went-over-my-alcohol-limit-last-night-but-it-was-fun-I’ll-do-it-again-next-weekend look, then falsies would definitely be a shoo-in among your options. (Confession: I lost my Nichido lash glue and tried very hard to stick these false lashes on using just the scarce glue on them. It kept falling off so I had to take photos fast whenever I’ve stuck them on a decent position. I. Tried. So. Hard.)
You may stop here, or you may take a look at my vanity-feeding selfie frenzy.
Of course I had to make kawaii hungover expressions. *shivers down my spine*
Optional #3: Highlighting
Used the pink highlighter (actually the pink eyeshadow I used) on my cheek area and the fleshy-white one (actually what I used on my undereyes) on my nose bridge. I think the pink eyeshadow wasn’t the best choice because it highlighted my pores as well.
That’s all folks! Hope you enjoyed this post about this equal parts cray and kawaii makeup trend! Would you try it? If you do please tag me, @damselflypoet in your IG photo! 😀